Home > NEWS > Get license before selling edible goods

Get license before selling edible goods

15,June, 2017

Application forms available online too

The district administration has asked food business operators to register themselves with the Tamil Nadu Food Safety and Drug Administration Department and obtain a license, failing which action will be taken against them.


District Collector M. Asia Mariam said that Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) have made it mandatory under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 for them to obtain license. There are 16,897 government and private food business operators in the district of which only 8,369 had registered themselves, and just 1,441 had obtained license.

Food business operators include food manufacturers, stockiest, transporters, tea shops, bakeries, roadside eateries, meat sellers, fruit and vegetable sellers, hotels, canteens in educational institutions, marriage halls, people who sell flour, provision shops, distributors, sago manufacturers, jaggery and sugar manufacturers, oil producers and sellers, private milk storage companies, flour mills, persons involved in export and import, cold storage units, wholesale distributors, manufacturers of beverages and other food business.

Online forms are available atwww.fssai.gov.in.

Those whose license had expired should renew it.

The Collector said that of the 152 samples taken by the department from food business operators till date, 138 were found to be sub-standard.

A fine of Rs. 12.84 lakh was collected from them and cases were pending against 14 traders in court.

Categories: NEWS
%d bloggers like this: